Since recently, Dutch horse-owners are getting worried about the Warmblood Fragile Foal Syndrome (WFFS). Tests for this hereditary disorder are already available abroad and can now also be done by Anigen. It is a simple DNA test for which sending in a few hairs of the horse is enough. Read more about the WFFS-test here.
A foal with WFFS can abort during pregnancy, be born too early, and/or be born with abnormalities. The important abnormalities that can be prevented are for example a very fragile skin or overextension of the joints. Affected foals usually pass way a few weeks after birth or must be put down.
WFFs is, as far as known, inherited recessively. This means that a carrier of one harmful mutation doesn’t get sick itself but can pass on the mutation. When both the stallion and mare are a carrier there is a 25% chance that the offspring will have the disorder, a 50% chance that the offspring is a carrier as well and a 25% chance that the offspring don’t have the harmful mutation at all. This is the reason why it is important to test if the parents are carriers for breeding especially.
Contact us via for more information about this test.
Wij gebruiken cookies om u een optimale gebruikerservaring te bieden. Klik op accepteren als u dat goed vindt of lees onze privacyverklaring nog eens goed door! AccepterenLees meer
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.